- Five Definitions of mathematics and focus questions to analyze them
- Mathematical concepts includes content, processes, and attitudes (values & dispositions)
Mathematical process categories
Mathematical content categories
- Number value and operations
- Algebra & patterns
- Geometry spatial
- Data Analysis, Probability, Ratio, and Proportion
Professional development information
- Books for professional math educator's reading
- Conceptual and procedural knowledge - Illustrated with card trick magic ...
- Considerations for Planning to Teach: Big ideas, concepts, and generalizations
- General information for professional educators
- Hands on: What is it really?
- History of mathematics in North America
- Independent study: planning guide to help select and refine topics
- Principled procedures for Math Educators
- Reflecting on mathematical instructional practice suggestions
- Sample outline with suggestions for creating a professional portfolio
- Survey your current mathematical practices and research, then compare your thoughts with what current research suggests.
- Solve some arithmetic problems and compared your solutions to other solutions. When you complete it, see how your solutions compare to these solutions.
Math teacher's tool box
How to map or outline content to prepare for instruction.
- Framework with explanations of mapping categories for planning to teach big ideas, concepts or generalizations
- Blank planning map
- Classification sample planning map
- Geometry, Area sample planning map
- Proof and reasoning sample planning map
- General steps in planning to facilitate generalization
- Overview for planning and creating curriculum documents
- Outline for a year plan and suggestions
- Outline for a sequence or unit plan with suggestions
- Thoughts about math games, competitions, and simulations
Suggestions for selecting problems and investigations
- Problems by categories
- Selecting problems --->> > sample problems with different formats , characteristics of a good problem , guiding questions to prepare mathematical investigations, tasks, or powerful problem
Sample parts and pieces of sequence plans
- Sequence plan with activities to build to cardinality. Good start with multiple concepts, sequence of concepts, and very good lists of activities for concepts. Need more integration of mathematical dimensions for practice of mathemtics and scoring guides with levels.
- Sequence plan for measurement, data analysis, and proportion Includes beginning ideas for integration of mathematical dimensions and some for mathematical practices, good for proportion, could use editing for clarity and more depth of procedures.
- Card trick | Includes integration of mathematical dimensions, good for proof, could use some editing for clarity card trick demonstration with different instructional strategies [conceptual & procedural].
- Reading and writing numbers with numeral and words | Good activity for skill building and necessary skill, doesn't include integration of mathematical dimensions,
- Estimating chocolate chip | Has potential, but needs a lot more information for integration of mathematical dimensions and extended activities.
- Characteristic of mathematically talented
- Mathematics & Logic adapted Frayer Model
- Manipulative materials list
- Parent letter for using manipulatives and representation with multiplication & division
- Eight different uses of literature for teaching mathematics
- Annotated list of literature and classroom uses in NCTM Journals
- List of Trade Books and Math Themes
- List of Trade Books to investigate
- Books with mathematical themes
- Mathematical terms and their representations with Cuisenaire Rods
- Investigations with Cuisenaire rods & student work sheets
- Comparison or English - Spanish wording in math. Translations of some mathematical ideas. Notice how some are the similar and others are very different. Demonstrates that direct translation is generally not as simple as one thinks unless one is bilingual.
- Math Their Way notes
- Assessment introduction and review: [Suggestion for creating criteria referenced assessments] [Norm-referenced test information]
- Letter to parents for student lead conferences and authentic assessment
- Questions from standardized achievement tests. SAT, FAA, MCAT, ...
- PISA 2012 Problem-Solving sample questions
- Curriculm Documents with concepts, outcomes, and assessment levels
- Student survey - open ended about student's math practice - one page
- Student survey - rating sheet (always, mostly, some, not) - about two page
- Comparison of dimensions and categories of NCTM and CCSS of math
- Concepts, suggested sequences, plans, rubrics, and other stuff may be found linked at the top of the page in mathematics content.
- Curriculm Documents with concepts, outcomes, and assessment levels
- Rubrics click the desired mathematics dimensions at the top of the page to locate concepts... assessment... evaluation ...
- Notes on exemplary and promising math programs
Workshops, courses, tutorials
- ESU #1 Algebra Workshop information
- Course information for graduate EDU 614
- Course information for undergraduate EDU 432
- Technology Help Pages - ILife and Windows Media tutorials and help pages for using/ making: photos, audio, and video --->>> directions and tutorials...
- NATM fall conference presentation 2006
- NATM spring conference presentation 2005
- NCTM regional presentation fall 2004
Problems & challenges:
- There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Jeffery Weld asks:
Why is it whenever students don't do well on a national test the news agencies report one or a few particular items that were on the test by stating the test questions, then they believe it is necessary to provide the answers. If their listeners need the answers, why should we expect students to be able to answer it correctly?
The Jibaro Indians of the Amazon rain forest express the number five by the phrase
"I have finished one hand," and the number ten by
"mai wehe amukei,"
"I have finished both hands."
Frank J. Swetz
"These landmarks must not be treated as objectives to be marked off. The goal is to mathematize not pass landmarks. Enjoy the journey create systems to do mathematics with the knowledge that students have. One should recognize the fallacy of thinking there can be one activity or sequence of activities for all students."
Catherine Twomey Fosnot & Maarten Dolk in Young Mathematicians at Work: Constructing Number Sense, Addition, and Subtraction
One of the universal customs that man has successfully established on earth is the
Hindu - Arabic numerals
to record numbers.
Math is meditation for thinking about the world.
Geometry is the science of correct reasoning on incorrect figures.
Score in the top tier on
the PISA 2012 Math Creative Problem SolvingAssessment
Read... Cell phone mathematics. The story of how Brad Parkinson used creativity and mathematics to enable the use of cell phones.
--------- Free --------
--- Coding software ---
Made with code - projects, mentors, resources ...
-----Free & for sale ---
--- Graphing software ---
Read: The Graphing Calculator Story by Ron Avitzur, then below the article are links to download the software.