Directions - Reflect on the similarities and differences of the following problems and their format.
- A candy maker wants to sell candies by the box. She thinks that 12 candies in a box would be a good way to sell them. How many different ways could the candies be packaged and what do you believe would be the best?
- Juan has twelve cookies and shares them with three friends, how many cookies could each have if they are to all end up with the same amount?
- Twelve divided by four is?
- 12 / 4
- 12 ÷ 4
- How many four foot pieces of ribbon can be cut from a twelve foot roll of ribbon?
- How many four foot square pieces of drywall can be cut from a sheet four foot by twelve foot?
- If Marci can carry four boxes at a time, how many trips will she have to make to move twelve boxes?
Think about how the format and presentation of problems on a standardized test and in a textbook limit or enhance teachers' freedom and flexibility in teaching mathematics and the students' opportunity to become mathematically literate?
Think about it.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©