An eccentric person wanted to make containers or pools with sidewalks around them. Only requirements was they had to be square. Before deciding what size to build, the eccentric person asked you to draw some squares with sidewalks around them so they could see what would be needed.
- What is the pattern for increasing the size of the pools?
- Write a rule that could be used to determine how many squares the area of any sized square pool would be.
- What is the pattern for making a sidewalk around a square pool?
- Write a rule that could be used to determine how many squares would be needed for a sidewalk around any sized square pool.
- What relationships can be found between the two?