Earth - Solar Concepts
Initial perceptual naive misconceptions (any age)
Beginning (preschool - 7 years)
- Sun provides the Earth with light.
Intermediate (7 years - 11 years)
- The sun provides light and heat necessary to maintain the temperature of the earth.
- The sun is a major source of energy (light and heat) for changes on the Earth's surface.
- A tiny fraction of the sun's light is transferred to the Earth.
- The sun is the major source of energy for phenomena on the earth's surface, such as growth of plants, winds, weather, ocean currents, and the water cycle.
- The sun's energy arrives as light with a range of wavelengths, consisting of visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet radiation.