Bilingual Education - Second Language Learners - Alternative Language Learners - ESL
- Public Debate repeatedly uses misinformation as Common Sense that most people do not challenge. This example related to bilingual education and Second Language Learning (SLL) is one paragraph taken from an article written by John Micklethwait. The example includes evidence that disputes his claims.
- A second example takes quotes that journalists have often pulled and used from a book written by Arthur Schlesinger Jr. and includes evidence found by J. Cummins to dispute them.
With Literacy and Justice for All: Rethinking the Social in Language and Education
- Edelsky book overview
- Edelsky Book Focus Questions
- ESL Definitions and Additive bilingualism CUP SUO
- Common underlying proficiency (CUP)
- Cognitive and Contextual Demands
- Intervention Framework 1
- Intervention Framework 2
- Summary of Cummins Research for Policy Decisions
- All electronic Links in Edelsky book
Teacher Planning Tools
- Chart showing Content knowledge classified by Bloom's Taxonomy and Communication classified by the Stages of Second Language Acquisition - Can be used to match activities and outcomes to various possible levels.
- Chart - Stages of second language acquisition, characteristics of the student, approximate age of the specific language acquisition, and sample tiered questions prompts
- Sample Lesson Plan for Coyote and Anansi - with Tiered Language Acquisition Plan 2.2
- Stages of second language acquisition with examples of using it to plan lessons
- McRel study of strategies that work with ESL students.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©