Discrepant Activity for - Plant concept assessment
Find pictures of one plant from each row, which most children are familiar.
- seed - watermelon, corn, acorn...
- tree - evergreen, palm, broadleaf
- carrot, beet, potato, onion
- lettuce, cabbage, spinach
- broccoli, cauliflower
Show either one picture at a time or all at once (depending on child) and ask:
- Which do you consider to be a plant?
- Why do you think that?
- Can you tell me your reasons?
Have the child summarize what the the properties of a plant are and either tell you or write them in a list.
Review the properties and have them mark ones they are sure with a + and ones they are not sure of with a -.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©