Scenario for Role Play 22
Trudy is a well-developed middle school girl who has been absent from school the first five Thursdays of the year. She has brought notes from her mother each Friday explaining that Trudy was ill. Trudy spends a great deal of time combing her hair and reading romantic novels and magazines. She never was involved in physical activity at recess or at any other times. Thursday is PE. day, and the PE. instructor is a young, good-looking, male teacher. It’s Friday and you decide to talk to Trudy.
- Possible background information
- Behavioral causes
- Possible solutions
- Consider theories, models, or other information used to help guide your decision making
- Create a script for talking with Trudy.
Student role - Trudy
You are a well-developed middle school girl. You think the PE teacher is very handsome. You have never been good at sports and you never played physical games at recess or other times. You do not want to be embarrassed in front of this teacher. You can play sick pretty easy because mom leaves for work and then you are alone all day. Mother would never question you about being absent anyway because she trusts you.
Teacher - Suggestions
Suggestions to encourage change from self-limiting behaviors to mastery oriented behaviors. See Conversations to change behavior
- Talk with the student to try and allow them to acknowledge their actions.
- The student could be excused from PE until they felt they could handle the problem.
- Trudy could be allowed to participate in a manner in which she would feel comfortable and not have to worry about being embarrassed.
- Meet with the parent(s) and discuss the problem.
- Have activities and discussions on differences and how people should celebrate their differences and not be ashamed.