What do Highly Motivated Enviornmental Education Teachers
Believe they Need to be Successful
and Lorna Harrell, An Environmental Education Needs Assessment of K-12
teachers in Kentucky. The Journal of Environmental Education, 2002,
Vol. 33, No. 3, 21-26.
K-12 Teachers Opinion of Needs
Teachers with a high interest in EE were surveyed.
- Environmental Education Sites with hands on learning
opportunities for both students and teachers.
- Outdoor environmental labs
- Readily available free lesson plans and materials
- Frequently updated web pages
- Lab school where University or nature guides would
teach students how to research.
- Assistance in creating outdoor labs at their schools.
- Funding needs
- Lesson and curriculum ideas
- Field trip opportunities
- Outdoor site development, use, and alignment to state
Teachers were asked what they would be willing
to be involved in
- Preferred professional development during school year
and with workshops.
- A small group were interested in university courses
and weekend workshops