Earth History and Fossil Concepts
Initial perceptual naive misconceptions (any age)
Beginning (preschool - 7 years)
- The Earth changes.
- Fossils are from long ago.
Intermediate (7 years - 11 years)
- The Earth has changed considerably over long periods of time.
- Plate tectonics is the movement of large slabs of Earth that floats on molten rock below it.
- Land formations - mountains, plateaus, river basins, deltas,
- Time is measured in 100,000's of years.
- Fossils are created from living organisms.
- The Earth's processes we see today, include erosion, movement of lithospheric plates, and changes in atmospheric composition, are similar to those that occurred in the past.
- Earth history is also influenced by occasional catastrophes, such as the impact of an asteroid or comet.
- Fossils provide important evidence of how life and environmental conditions have changed.