Technology Issues Concepts
Initial perceptual naive misconceptions (any age)
Beginning (preschool - 7 years)
- People alone or in groups are always inventing new ways to solve problems and do work.
- Tools and the ways people do things affect all aspects of life.
- Tools and ideas are technology.
- When people want to build something new they should consider how it might affect people.
Intermediate (7 years - 11 years)
- Technology has been on Earth since the begining of humans.
- Technology influences people and people create technology.
- Any invention is likely to lead to another invention.
- An invention is likely to cause people to think of new ways of using.
- We enjoy many luxuries because of technology.
- Technology is not equally available to all people on Earth.
- Scientific laws, engineering principles, properties of matter, and construction techniques are all used in designing solutions to problems.
- Cost, safety, appearance, environmental impact, and what happens if the solution fails should be considered when designing technology.
- Technologies have drawbacks as well as benefits that may be know or not during design and production.
- The abililty to invent tools and technology has caused people to have a tremendous impact on all living organisms.
- People shape the future by their ability for creating knowledge and technology and communicating it to others.
- Technology can not solve all problems or meet all human needs.
- Technology strongly influenced the course of history and contiues to do so (agriculture, manufacturing, sanitation, medicine, warfare, transportation, information processing, and communication).
- New technologies have benefits and risks.
- Rarely are technology issues one-sided.
- Many issues can create benefits as well as negative consequenes.
- Society influences what aspects of technology are developed and how they are used.