Survey or Curriculum Thought Provokers
Directions: Leave the ones you agree with and cross out the ones you disagree with.
- A curriculum that concentrates on teaching and learning is in the best interest of the students.
- Standards are focused to educate students for the real world.
- Teachers should be thought of as mainly a technocrat.
- Teachers should be thought of as mainly an automaton.
- Teachers should be thought of as mainly a trainer.
- The way that you understand the world is better than the way that your parents or grandparents understood the world.
- The way that you relate to people is better for the world than the way your parents or grandparents related to people.
- Children and adolescents should be taught to think on their own.
- Children and adolescents should be indoctrinated into the ways of the culture.
- Children and adolescents should be trained into the ways of the culture.
- Children and adolescents should be educated so they will be able to create a culture.
- School is for knowledge making.
- School is for knowledge getting.
- Education is best thought of as a ladder of opportunity.
- Education is best thought of as a highway of opportunity.
- Children should be treated as clay to be molded.
- We know what children should learn.
- We know what children will need to know in 20 years.
- An educational objective is an oxymoron.
- Human development is potential to be developed by the teacher, parent, employer, state, or nation.
- Human development is to be achieved by the individual child to control their destiny.
- Students should learn for the sake of learning.
- Education is to maximize the individual's control over society.
- There is a basic set of knowledge that all students need to know.
- All students need to have access to the same educational opportunities.
- All students need to develop certain skills and knowledge that will enable them to contribute to the continued growth of technological and industrial society.
- We should insist that all pupils have access to the same knowledge.
- We should tailor educational experiences to suit the individual needs of all pupils.
- Pupils should have opportunities to develop intellectual and moral qualities to meaningfully participate in a democracy.
- If children find that learning is fun, they will be successful.
How do your ideas of curriculum fit with your ideas of education and teaching?