Picture Books with Mathematical Themes
See also Eight uses of literature in math
Miss Spider's Tea Party - 1994, . pages 32. primary.
Miss Spider wants her insect friends to come over for tea, but each one turns down her invitation for fear she'll eat them. When Miss Spider comes to the aid of a wet moth, word spreads of her good nature, and their perspective changes.
Different sets of 1-12 insects arrive for tea.
Themes: Number value, counting, spiders, party, insects, picture book.
The Doorbell Rang - 1986. Greenwillow Books: New York. primary.
Sharing 12 cookies 6 ways.
Tops and Bottoms - 1995. Scholastic: New York. primary.
Trickster, lazy/worker. Problem solving, tops, bottom, middles.
Prereading - Ask. What are the ways of dividing crops without numbers?
Read book, stop and discuss, ask for plot predictions ...
Pigs Will Be Pigs - 1994. Four Winds Press: New York. 32 pages.
A family of pigs wants to go out to eat, but their purses and wallets are empty so they go on a money hunt. How much did they find? What could they spend? How much did they have left after dinner? 7 F
12 Ways To Get To 11 - 1993. Trumpet New York. primary ages .
Sums of 11
Blank for expansion - 1 , y: . p .
- Strongest, Fastest. Jenkins, Steve Ticknor & Fields Books for Young Readers New York 1995 0 - 395 - 86136 - 5 Animal records of size, speed… 8 P,NF
- Blue Sea. Kalan, Robert Il. Donald Crews Trumpet Club New York 1979 0 - 440 - 84979 - 9 Big, bigger, biggest, little, littler, littlest 5 F
- Color Farm. Ehlert, Lois Trumpet Club New York 1990 0 - 440 - 84709 - 5 Shape, color, animals 5 C
- Geraldine’s Blanket. Keller, Holly Greenwillow Books New York 1984 0 - 688 - 07810 - 9 Getting smaller, whole to part 5 F
- Opposites. Kightley, Rosalinda Trumpet New York 1986 0 - 590 - 06218 - 2 Opposites 5 P
- The Best Bug Paraade. Murphy, stuart J. Illus. Holly Keller Scholastic New York 1997 0 - 590 - 06263 - 8 Big, bigger, biggest; Small…; long… short…; good, better, best 6 C
- The Story of Z. Modesitt, Jeanne Illus. Lonni Sue Johnson Saxonville, Mass.:Picture Book Studios 1990. Order, last, Z goes on strike and bedlam follows till Z is coaxed back.
- The Wuggie Norple Story. Pinkwater, Daniel M. Illus. Tomie de Paola Trumpet Club New York 1980 0 - 440 - 84879 - 2 Relative size, bigger, smaller, same 5 P
- Which Witch is Which? Hutchins, Pat Greenwillow Books New York 1989 Can you tell which twin is which? 7 F
- From One to One Hundred. Sloat, Teri Puffin Books New York 1991 0 - 14 - 055643 - 5 Counting book from 1,2,3 - 10,20,30 - 100 6 F
- Counting on Frank. Clement, Rod Gareth Stevens Children’s Books Milwaukee, WI 1991.
- One Hundred Hungry Ants. Princzes, Elinor J Houghton Mifflin Co. Boston 1993 How fast to picnic in lines of 1, 2, …10 7 F
- Ten Black Dots. Crews, Donald Scholastic New York 1986 0 - 590 - 46479 - 5 Number value to 10 1 - 1 correspondence, symbols 5 C
- Ten For Dinner. Bogart, Jo Ellen Scholastic Books New York 1989
- The 100th Day of School. Medearis, Angela Shelf Il. Joan Holub Scholastic New York 1996 0 - 590 - 25944 - X Number value 100 6 C
- One, Two, One Pair. McMillan, Bruce Scholastic New York 1991 0 - 590 - 43798 - 2 Number value 1, 2, pair 5 P
- There's a Hole in My Pocket Gibson, Akimi Illus. Jeni Bassett Scholastic New York 1994 0 - 590 - 27598 - 4 Number value, zero 6 C
- Thirteen Days of Halloween. Greene, Carol Children’s Press Chicago 1983 Three Pigs,
- Twelve Ways to Get to Eleven. Merriam, Eve Illus. By Bernie Karlin Simon & Schuster New York 1993
- Two Tiny Mice Baker, Alan Scholastic New York 1990 0 - 590 - 46404 - 3 Visualization, number value 2 and relative size 5 P
- How Many Snails. Giganti 1988
- More than One. Hoban 1981
- The 329th Friend. Sharmat 1979. Emery Raccoon has a party, invites 328 forest guests, but Emery is disappointed with all the commotion, leaves, and learns he is a friend of himself. Then some guests notice him, thank him, and invite him to visit. Number value 329. What is an optimum number of party guests?
- How to Count like a Martian. St. John 1975. Counting systems include: ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Mayans, Greeks, and Hindus, describes the operation of an abacus and a computer, and an imaginary Martian system. Middle level
- The King’s Commissioners. Friedman 1994. counting and place value.
- Cookies. Jaspersohn 1993
- 8,000 Stones Wolkstein 1972
Counting money & change
- 26 Letters and 99 Cents. Tana Hoban, Scholastic: New York. 1987. Primary. 0-590-41831 9 Combinations of coins to .99
- A Quarter From the Tooth Fairy. Holtzman, Caren Illus. By Betsy Day Scholastic New York 1995 0 - 590 - 36598 - 9 Quarter and equivalent coins 6 F
- Benny’s Pennies. Brisson, Pat Bantam Doubleday New York 1993 0 - 440 - 41016 - 9 Shops buys five objects for family 5 F Biggest, equality,
- Pigs Will Be Pigs. Axelrod, Amy Four Winds Press New York 1994 0 - 689 - 81219 - 1 Money hunt, how much did they find and what did they have left after dinner? 7 F
- Each Orange Had 8 Slices. Giganti, Paul Jr. Il. Donald Crews Trumpet Club New York 1992 0 - 440 - 84957 - 8 Number value, skip counting, multiples, addition, problem solving 7 + P
- Eating Fractions. McMillan, Bruce Scholastic New York 1991 0 - 590 - 43771 - 2 Whole, halves, thirds, & fourths 6 C
- Fraction Action. by Leedy, Loreen Trumpet Club New York 1994 0 - 440 - 83436 - 8 fractional parts as equal shares, and parts of a whole 7 C
Really large numbers
- A Million Fish… More or Less. McKissack, Patricia C. Il. Dena Schutzer Trumpet New York 1992 0 - 440 - 83063 - X Tall tale, number value, estimation 7 F
- G is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book. Schwartz, David Illus Marissa Moss Scholastic Inc. New York 1998 0 - 439 - 10489 - 0 Informational book 10 NF
- How Much is a Million. Schwartz, Davie M. Il. Steven Kellogg Scholastic New York 1985 0 - 590 - 43614 - 7 Number value 1,000,000 6 P
- If You Made a Million. Schwartz, David M. Illus. Steven Kellogg Scholastic New York 1989 0 - 590 - 43608 - 2 Number value, money, 1,000,000 8 P
- Shoes, Shoes, Shoes. Morris, Ann Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Books New York 1995 28 Illustrations shoes from around world 6 P
- A Dozen Dozens. Harriet Ziefert Il. Chris Demarest Viking New York 1998 0 - 14 - 038819 - 2 Number value, dozen, _ dozen 5 C
- What Comes in 2's, 3's, & 4's? Aker, Suzanne Illus. Bernie Karlin Scholastic New York 1990 0 - 590 - 47838 - 9 Number value 2, 3, 4 PT F
- Anno’s Magic Seeds. Anno, Mitsumasa Philomel Books New York 1995 0 - 399 - 22538 - 2 Double, + , - 7 P
- A Remainder of One. Pinczes, Elinor J. Il. Bonnie Mackain Houghton Mifflin Company Boston 1995 0 - 395 - 69455 - 8 Division, matrix multiplication 7 P
- Moira's Birthday. Munsch, Robert Illus. Michael Martchenko Annick Press LTD Toronto, Canada 1987 0 - 920303 - 83 - 8 Birthday party for 200 6 F
- Stay in Line. Slater, Teddy Illus. Gioia Fiammenghi Scholastic New York 1996 0 - 590 - 22713 - 0 Field trip 12 students in different groups, patterns 6 F
- Gator Pie. Mathews 1979. Two gators find a pie and share as others come along. Sharing... fractions
- Anna’s Mysterious Multiplying Jar Anno & Anno 1983
- How Big Is A Foot?. Myller, Rolf Illus. Rolf Mylier Dell Publishing New York 1990 Standard unit of measurement 6 F
- Inch by Inch. Lionni, Leo Scholastic New York 1960 0 - 590 - 47991 - 1 Measurement, inch 6 C
- Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing there is?. Wells, Robert E. Scholastic New York 1993 0 - 590 - 48471 - 0 Size of the Universe, really big numbers 9 P
- The Popcorn Book. De Paola, Tomie Holiday House New York 1978 0 - 590 - 40264 - 1 History of popcorn, measurement volume, 7 F
- The Principal’s New Clothes. Calmenson, Stephanie Scholastic New York 1989 Measurement 5 F
- Jim and the Beanstalk Briggs 1970. Measurement, problem solving.
- How big? How fast? How Hungry?. Waverly 1990
- In One Day Parker 1984. Time
- Jumping the Broom. Wright, Courtni C. Holiday House New York 1994 0 - 8234 - 1042 - 0 Quilt patterns 8 F
- Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt. Hopkinson, Deborah Illus. By James Ransome Alfred A. Knopf New York 1993 0 - 679 - 87472 - 0 Spatial relationships, number value, patterns 8 HF
- The Greedy Triangle. Burns, Marilyn Illus. By Gordon Silveria Scholastic New York 1994.
- The Patchwork Quilt. Flournoy, Valerie Scholastic or Dial New York 1985 0 - 590 - 89753 - 5 patterns, History of families, black experience 6 F
- Anno's Math Games II. Anno, Mitsumasa Philomel Books New York 1989 0 - 399 - 21615 - 4 Function, measurement, patterns 10 P
- The King’s Chessboard. Birch, David Illus. By Devis Grebu Dial Books for Young Readers New York 1988 0 - 14 - 054880 - 7 Proud King gift of rice double every day for each square on checker board 10 F
- One Wolf, and Seven Magic Shapes. Maccarone, Grace Scholastic New York 1997 Retelling of 3 pigs with tangrams 8 F
- The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures. MalbaTahan 1993. A young man goes on a fantastical journey and solves problems with arithmetic and algebra. Readers will experiment with mathematical ideas.
- Pattern. Pluckrose 1988 from the Math Counts series