Possible Literature Goals for Literature Programs
A quality literature program will have students who:
- Enjoy literary transactions by: reading; listening to music, poetry, drama, and other media, viewing drama, visual arts, and other media.Actively seek involvement in literary transactions.
- Comprehend, analyze, criticize, and evaluate what they view, hear, read at the literal, interpretive, and emotional level.
- Appreciate different genre.
- Recognize and classify different genre
- Develop an awareness and critical understanding of different genre.
- Understand and interpret story elements.
- Develop an awareness and critical understanding of story elements.
- Relate literature to real life.
- Create literature.
- Desire to integrate literature into all aspects of their culture.
- Promote an appreciation and enjoyment of quality literature.
- Develop a life long love of reading, listening, and viewing quality literature.
- Choose enriching literary experiences to enhance self-awareness and understanding of the world.
- Develop a realization that literature fosters humanistic awareness and attitudes.
- Develop an awareness and critical understanding of elements of good literature.
- Develop a belief in students' own creative skills.
- Communicate an appreciation of literature to others.
- Develop empathetic awareness for all aspects of literature.
- Integrate values clarification as a result of their transactions with literature.
- Develop a connection with the global community through literature.
- Develop critical thinking.
- Appreciate and empathize the diversity of cultures through global perspectives.
- Develop creativity and imagination to interpret a variety of literature from multiple perspectives.
- Use literature to expand and enhance knowledge in all curricular areas.
Dr. Robert Sweetland's Notes ©