Resources for a middle level health program
Health concepts, standards, and outcomes
- Human identity; Anatomy & basic functions of life, growth, & development; Health: disease & treatment, safety & hazards as concepts
- National health standards as outcomes
- National health standards and outcomes written 1995 revised 2004
Activities for teaching and learning how to be healthy
- Health inventory, Pulse chart, Heart rate exercise record, & Food habits survey
- Introducton to health, affects on health, risks, & promoting wellness worksheets and word bank Review for health traits and Decision making
- Mental & emotional health activity worksheets, word bank & key ideas
Two week goal setting activity, What is your characters of mental health activity, Who am I activity to create a personal shield or coat of arms to describe you, Affects on health, risks and promoting health and wellness, CrossWord puzzle for mental and emotional health vocabulary, Create a plan for a healthy mental and emotional life activity.
Support materials Procedures to recognize and manage feelings & emotions: fear, guilt, anger, stress. Stressors for Teens, Stress, Chronic stress, Ways to Manage and Reduce stress, Stress & Immunity, Stress & Exercise, Caffeine & hormones, Coping with loss & grief, Five Stages of grief, Dealing with Anxiety & Depression, Suicide Prevention, & Getting Help
Mental & emotional health review worksheets
- Social health relationships - Activity worksheets, word bank & key ideas for Healthy relationships Respecting yourself & others, Communicating Family relationships, Peer relationships, & Suggestion for managing jealousy & envy, & Assertive behavior
- Lesson plan for a historical investigation of the discovery of vitamins with a science inquiry focus and information on vitamin A ,vitamin B1, vitamin B3, vitamin C, & vitamin D.
- Decision making historical scenarios & role play ideas - Introduction; six leaders & their historic decisions; classroom decision making role play; case studies to discuss alcoholism; causes of accidents: car, home, & work to use for decision making scenarios; decisions dilemmas as discussion topics or to role play; beliefs and ideas to question, discussion, & role play. & ideas for social, political, and moral issue discussions.
- Decision making lesson plan with classroom and home scenarios (2-3 class periods)
- Reaction times, practice, & learning activities and work sheets
- Nutrition, diet, and exercise activity worksheets, word bank, and key ideas
See also Support information for nutrition and investigations into nutrients (protein, carbs, & fats), vitamins, minerals, & database with functions and sources for all of them. Includes lab type Investigation suggestions for: calcium & bone investigation, starch investigations, milk investigation of proteins casein and whey, protein testing, mineral tests, fat tests, eggs and protein investigation, acid in food investigation, sugar in food investigation, energy in food, calorimeter
Nutrition review worksheets
- Human anatomy: systems and organs activities with data sheets and human hody systems activity rubric and scoring guide. See also human anatomy vocabulary and question data base and human anatomy concepts in health misconceptions and concepts. See also anatomy glossary
- Medicine and drug use and making healthy decisions unit
- Physical fitness planning
- Environmental health unit
- Simulation of diagnosis for jaundice
- Drink equivalencies - University of Notre Dame student health
- Presidents of the United States: An Examination of Alcohol Consumption
- The American Medical Association
- The Aging Brain: A Lesson on Alzheimer’s Disease a .PDF file.
- Body image, media resources -
- 1st Dove evolution video - Original video of behind the scenes of image manipulation that spreads unattainable standards of beauty. (1:16)
- Image sketches - explores how we perceive ourselves & other people perceive us. (3:00 mins)
- Image sketches from mother's and daughter's perspectives. (2:58 mins)
- Body image evoution timelapse video of photoshopping of a model's body. (1:11mins)
- Body language. TED talk.Your body language shapes who you are. by Amy Cuddy. Includes information on body language, nonverbal communication, & power poses. Amy describes examples supported by research for the effects of powerful and low power body language on the judgement & consequences of interactions with others and the health effects on the body: changes in testosterone & cortisol amounts. 2012, (21:02).
- Job Monkey web site: search types of jobs to discover job descriptions, including education requirements, job responsibilities, salary information, benefits, training, and other related facts about thousands of jobs. Search medical, fitness, health, nutrition, yoga, message, and other categories to find careers for your future. Part-time jobs, full-time jobs, or jobs that let you travel. Discover wealth of information here.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Conflict resolution
- Culture and Stereotype Ideas
- Database for health vocabulary reviews
- Decision Making, Critical Thinking, and Change Processes
Disabilities and Health
- CDC Quests on Disabilities and Health: Discover how kids with disabilities get around? Did you know that downhill skiers with only one leg have been clocked at 74 mph? Explore this site to find out how physically a person with disabilities can be. Find links to ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, hearing loss, mobility impairment, tourette syndrmone (TS), vision impairment, athlete biographies, paralympic games, and more.
- Drug and alcohol - Common Sense Media site page with information about smoking marketing, vaping videos, interactive alcohol ads, and popular shows that glorify drug use, it's tougher than ever to limit kids' exposure to alcohol, drugs, and smoking in the media. This articles, advice, and videos will help you discover appropriate ideas in five different age groups, find out how kids are influenced, and learn how to prevent kids from starting harmful habits.
Ethics, democracy, character
- Moral and ethical development: theory, reserach, & teaching notes,
- Relationship of ethics and democracy
- Family health guide: Healthy Steps for Healthy Lives Family Guide
at NEA's Healthy Futures Site
- Feed Up video | quiz | study guide | movie (1:35:43) |
- Genetics activities - five traits tree diagram work sheet
- Life, Energy, and Human Health relationships of positive thinking, meditation, and light to mental emotional health, the endocrine system.
- Healthy Practices as Skills and Outcomes
- Health Risks and Healthy Practices
- I-statement and mediation example in Madame Secretary episode 2, 2015.
- National Eye Institute: Educational resources, activities books, calendar, posters.
- Nutrition Vitamins Five Discovery stories of vitamins adapted from The Great Vitamin Mystery. by Marvin Martin. 1974.
Nutrition and Physical Activity Fitness & Health Resources
- Bag the junk web site nutrition to reduce junk food.
- CDC site with: Information on disease: graphic nove, database, activities... Recipes for good nutrition; Physical activity set up your own fitness calendar, access activity cards for activities from ballet to yoga; Advice for safety, yourlife, and your body. You can even take a quiz that will help you find out which activities will best suit your personality.
- Choose My Plate developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to improve nutrition and well-being of Americans. Learn food facts and ways to create a healthy diet. Has a super tracker to look up nutritional information, track your food, and physical activity. the Mix Eat Smart & Ex Replaces the Food Pyramid.
- Circuls Fit: Regiser for access to lesson plans with videos to set fitness goals, tips for warm-ups, exercises, and healthy eating. Then pick your action, props, and time in the Crazy Clown College Challenge and activity challenges for jump rope, juggling...
- Edible School Yard Organization: The Edible Schoolyard Network connects educators around the world to build and share a K-12 edible education curriculum.
- Fitness partner site includes activity calculators, a fitness library, resources on getting and staying active, nutrition, managing weight, BMI, how playlists can increase a workout, and fitness equipment.
- Let's Move site: health, food & nutrition, physical activity, school garden checklist
- National Education Association (NEA) Health information network educator's site - 47 different guides and resources to support educators
- Orienteering organization combines map reading and decision making with a walk outdoors. Team events in the United States, Education link to find out how it's done and start a program or club at your school. See plans for teaching cartography and orienteering.
- PBS Web site. Site isn't very organized. Need to search for different shows, includes: some clips (couldn't get them to stream, transcripts, tip sheets, and and where to order videos. Pricey. Maybe available through Local PBS, need to check it out. Great variety of diverse health issues beyond eating and exercise. Could be valuable source.
- The President's Challenge, a program to encourage all Americans to make being active a part of their everyday lives. A .pdf file with information to motivate people to improve your health.
- Super Tracker web site to track what you eat.
- The Virtual Sports Injury Clinic includes a comprehensive overview of common injuries. Click on the muscle area in the graphic or use the menu to find a description of symptoms. Then read the first-aid steps, view video clips, and find out when to see a medical provider or specialist for treatment
Online, internet, web safety and literacy information
- HON code: According to quackwatch.org
"The Internet's most widely recognized standard-setting organization is the Geneva-based Health on the Net (HON) Foundation. Sites that follow its code of conduct are welcome to display a HONcode seal."
" These principles are sound, but compliance is voluntary and some sites displaying the seal contain unreliable information or link to other sites that contain unreliable information."
"To check whether a site is actually registered, click on the HONcode seal, which should be linked to a registration status report on the HON site."
- Description of Web Literacy as the skills and competencies needed for reading, writing, and participating on the Web at Mozilla.org
- Privacy and Security Teaching Kit at Mozilla.org
- Sex, gender, & body image - Common Sense Media site page with information on sex, gender, and body image.
- Sex and reproduction education on the internet Laci Green
- U.S Food and Drug Administration
- Vocabulary is a major component of learning and understanding, particularly about the body and health issues. The following resources can assist in vocabulary learning.
- World Health Organization
Glenco Health resources
- Student web activities by chapters
- Healthy teens in the media work sheet
- BusinessWeek Video Health News - works in Safari need ... for Foxfire
- Lesson planner - works in Safari not Foxfire
Hot lines for Teen help
Resources for teens
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255) or
visit their Web site.
Resources on Zika
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The American Medical Association
- World Health Organization:
- U.S Food and Drug Administration